Date(s) - 27/01/2021
7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
London Art Explorations are a series of walks investigating artworks displayed in outdoor settings in London, devised by Gail Astbury, public art enthusiast as well as practitioners in her own right.
We’ve adapted to the times and are thrilled to be offering a guided public art tour for all to enjoy from home. The tour will be held on Zoom using Google Streetview, and will be recorded too. It will take approximately 60-70 minutes, and there will be a chance to ask questions during the tour.
Join a virtual walking tour of art pieces scattered on either side of the Euston and Marylebone Roads in central London. Discover works by Henry Moore, Antony Gormley, Eduardo Paolozzi, Gary Hume and others all on public display.
Where we will virtually walk: We begin by the ‘Large Spindle Piece’ by Henry Moore, lent to Network Rail who have installed it on King’s Cross Square. We will follow an intriguing route of discovery as we track our way through a local history of art presented in public spaces. Gail Astbury draws on experience of designing works for spaces in schools and community spaces to look at what has been achieved in Somerstown, an area where much effort has been made in using art outside to lift the spirits of the residents, both on residential facades and as installations. We survey Euston station’s traditional forecourt now cheek by jowl with the demolition hammer and cross to the south side of Euston Road to see works around St Pancras New Church and the Wellcome Institute. We re-cross the main road again to seek out new office spaces where art has been installed under a programme by British Land, to end our exploration at Great Portland Street tube station.
- Held on Zoom using Google Streetview and may be recorded too. It will take approximately 60-70 minutes, and there will be a chance to ask questions during the tour. Unfamiliar with Zoom? Find out more here
- Try before you buy? watch Gail Astbury at the Award-winning Urban Tree Festival
- Bookings will close within 30 minutes of the start of the event
- Range of ticket prices – scroll down to book – including free tickets to NHS & Key workers
- Don’t want to pay via PayPal? – don’t worry, you can pay by credit card – check here to see the steps you will encounter when you book.
- Joining instructions are sent via e mail within 3 hours of the start – the email will include a link to the virtual tour (please check your junk mail folder, just in case…).
Once on the tour, you will be sent a pdf that will include a hand drawn map by Gail and list of artworks, so when restrictions are eased you can retrace the tour.
Can’t get enough of Gail’s art explorations? Join us on the 13th January as we visit Mersey to Morecombe Bay
Can’t join on these dates / Missed your chance to join – send us a note via our Get in Touch form as if we have sufficient sign ups we may run these tours again.
What participants said about the walk when first walked in September 2019
Bookings are closed for this event.