Can poetry inspire people to discover their city on foot?
We think it can and want to make that happen – here in London and elsewhere in the world. With your help, we shall.
In Paddington Street Gardens
As I walk to work
To take part, all you have to do is to compose a haiku – a short form 3-line poem that is a picture revealing the characteristics of a place. Haiku don’t have to be made up of 17 syllables (5 in the first and third lines, and 7 in the middle line), but we have found that that form is a great starting point to get one’s head around writing haiku.
Want to try composing haiku now? Here’s the link to our Haiku encounter submission page. To find out more about the Haiku encounter project – click here for a bit more history. These links are temporarily disabled ( from Oct 2019).
Would you like to join a group to compose and recite haiku while discovering London? You have come to the right place – check out what walkshops we have coming up – they will appear at the bottom of this page:
- Haiku Encounter: In search of Truth in the City of London– Celebrating National Poetry Day
- Hidden Garden Haiku: Gunnersbury Park for the Gunnersbury Park Museum
- Hidden Garden Haiku Vauxhall – Celebrating National Poetry Day
- Hidden Garden Haiku Holland Park for the Mayor of London’s – National Park City Week 2018
- Haiku on the Rye for the Woodland Trust – London Tree Week 2017
- Haiku Woods for the Mayor of London – London Tree Week 2017
- Creative writing – haiku for the London Metropolitan Archives – Word on the Street Festival 2017
- First Thursday: haiku on foot
- Including 2016 National Poetry Day
- Greenwich / The Barbican / Bankside / Kings Cross / Borough / Deptford / Forest Hill / Monument / Clerkenwell
- Read more
- First Thursday: Haiku on foot - 04/02/2016 - 06/10/2016 - 6:15 pm - 7:45 pm
- Creative writing - haiku - 15/05/2017 - 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
- Haiku Woods - 27/05/2017 - 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Haiku on the Rye - 28/05/2017 - 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
- Haiku in Queen's Wood - 20/05/2018 - 5:00 pm
- Hidden Garden Haiku - 25/07/2018 - 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
- Hidden Garden Haiku Vauxhall - 04/10/2018 - 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
- Hidden Garden Haiku - east in the City - 08/11/2018 - 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
- Hidden Garden Haiku - The Enchanted Garden - 06/12/2018 - 12:30 pm - 1:45 pm
- Hidden Garden Haiku - Gunnersbury Park - 29/06/2019 - 10:30 am - 12:00 pm
- Haiku in Nature at the London Wildlife Festival - 10/08/2019 - 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
- Haiku Encounter: In search of Truth - 03/10/2019 - 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm