“Conversations on Future Lifestyles”: Talk it Through, Make it Happen.
Rethinking Cities Ltd. host “Conversations on Future Lifestyles”, a series of thought-provoking, inspiring and creative discussions on lifestyles and their impact on urban living. Such a Conversation is an opportunity to meet fellow professionals, to share opinions, and contribute to interesting debates on topical issues. Collective problem solving. A briefing paper is distributed to participants one week before the conversation and a guest speaker is invited to introduce the topic.
Conversations take place early in an evening, at a convenient central London location, approximately once a quarter, and last for between 50 and 90 minutes. They are hosted by an experienced facilitator, and participation is limited to ten people, ensuring intimacy and an opportunity for everyone to have a chance to contribute.
“Wise people like Raban (author of Soft City) learn things about cities and communicate them, but then are more or less forgotten. Revisiting them is a real service, and the Conversation was very stimulating, to me at least. The Homes & Communities Academy should fund you to hold hundreds of Conversations, as an alternative to reinventing the wheel.” Rob Cowan, former Director of the Urban Design Group
For each Conversation, a briefing paper is written by the person introducing the topic
- New urban life - Graham Freer in Conversation - 05/04/2006 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Defending public space - Leon Yates in Conversation - 07/06/2006 - 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
- Language of Urbanism - Rob Cowan in Conversation - 06/09/2006 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Incorporating the views of young people in policy - Andrew Combes in Conversation - 08/11/2006 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Where is the 'Soft City' now? - Tim Waterman in Conversation - 08/02/2007 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Involving the community - Sophia de Souza in Conversation - 02/05/2007 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Putting a value on the public realm - Rob Cowan in Conversation - 06/06/2007 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- The 'burbs - Ian Phillips in Conversation - 11/09/2007 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Travel behaviour change - Tom Cohen in Conversation - 15/11/2007 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Food deserts for some - Susan Parham in Conversation - 05/03/2008 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Children in the City - Tim Gill in Conversation - 09/07/2008 - 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
- Shared space - Tim Long in Conversation - 23/04/2009 - 5:45 pm - 7:30 pm
- Do council estates have to look like 'council estates'? - Liz Kessler in Conversation - 17/11/2009 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Democratising urban planning - Tom Cohen in Conversation - 24/02/2010 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
- Places we need - Eiluned Morgan in Conversation - 03/03/2011 - 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm